Monday 26 November 2012

Being like me

Recently I was having a conversation with my mum in which I told her that I wished I was more like my sisters i.e. was more organised / on top of things etc, and then my mum preceded to tell me that yes, they are those things but reminded me that I have got things going on in my life that they don't, and also told me that one of my sisters had said to her that they wished they were more like me in another way...

I found it quite interesting and have thought about it a bit since then. I think we often look at others and are apt to see the good that they do and the skills that they have and think, "I wish I were more like them and could do ______"... as if that one thing is what defines the other person as good / talented / etc. and that this quality would therefore define us in the same way. The fact is that we all have different things that make us who we are... and that is as it should be.

We all have strengths and weaknesses. We have to stop comparing our weaknesses to someone else's strengths and vice versa. We have to stop comparing.

Well, I guess I have one exception - comparing who we are to who we have been. I once attended a school where the Vice Principal would often talk about our Personal Best, and that this was the most important thing we had to achieve. I believe that to be true.

I believe in looking for the good - in myself in others.

I believe that we often think much less of ourselves than others think of us.

I believe that we often think much more of others than they think of themselves.

I believe in taking notice of how far I have come.

I believe in considering my potential and reaching for the best and that this means planning.

I believe that we become who we want to be by being what we want to become.

I believe in finding happiness by losing the need to compare myself to other people.

I believe in being me - the best me that I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment