Monday 1 April 2013

Some long-weekend creativity!

At the tail end of the weekend, I want to wish you a happy easter! I hope you've all had a great weekend. Myself, it has been a fantastic weekend spending lots of time with my fantastic family and, naturally, being grateful and celebrating the reason we have this holiday. <3


On Saturday afternoon, my husband cheerfully insisted that I get myself out of the house, leave the kids with him and go do whatever I felt like... I wound up at Spotlight GX and with Christmas money still in my pocket bought myself a few little things. One of those things was a fabulous fabric which with the sale going came to $3/metre! Bargain. I also bought some hobby fill and knowing that I had everything else I needed at home, set out to make some cushions. 

The first one I made was for Natalie and she was excited to know that I was making it for her. She watched me start it, but I finished it off after she was in bed and the next morning... and then she got to see the rest of the process when I made the second one, and even helped me stuff it.






They're quite comfy little cushions and I have to say I'm excited to have had time and creative energy to make them. My only regret is that I didn't take photos of the whole process of making them. Because the fabric was a little sheer I actually have it layered with some calico I had at home, which worked well because of the tones of the patterned fabric.

I have visions in my head of a time in the future when I'll be able to make things like this and then sell them perhaps... I just need a little more practice on the hand stitching (the hole that I left open to stuff the cushion and then hand sewed definitely looks better on the second one I made than on the first).

For now, I am quite set on finishing a patchwork quilt (within the next 2 weeks) I began making for Natalie toward the end of last winter... by the time I got part way through it the weather started warming up and I lost my motivation to do it, but now that winter is on it's way back I'm determined that she'll be able to use it for the whole winter! It won't actually take that long, I just have to set the time aside to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment